Sulphur & Preservatives
If you like to read your wine bottles, you will notice ‘Low Sulphur’ ‘Contains Sulphites’ ‘Preservative Free’ and ‘Organic’ as common choice quotes. These quotes tell you about the sulphur levels found in wine.
With Little Ripples’ wines you will find ‘minimal sulphur dioxide added’ emblazoned on the back of our labels.
Sulphur dioxide (SO2) is a chemical food preservative that is naturally occurring in wines. They are added to prevent oxidation, discolouration and to preserve by minimising spoilage that occurs from bacteria and yeast growths.
Why Low Sulphur? Can it Benefit You?
Sulphur naturally occurs in wine, so you won’t get one that is 100% free from them, despite preservative free claims.
Preservative-free and low sulphite wines mean low amounts, or no amount of sulphur is added in the wine-making process.
The organic wine making process also means there will naturally be lower levels of sulphites compared to non-organic wines
Low levels of sulphur benefits those who are sensitive or have an allergy to sulfites. And we don’t want your allergies to prevent you from enjoying the taste and the ability to choose our wine with a cause (add link on wine to water).
That sensitivity may mean less coughing, breathing problems and rashes if you tend to have allergic reactions to food, so less phlegmy and snotty wine nights.
Sulphur can also flare up respiratory symptoms, so it also benefits those with asthma.
Our main goal with using minimal sulphur is to preserve the flavour profile of the wine and to lessen the effect sulphites have on the natural development of wine.
Little Ripples Chooses Minimal Sulphur
Little Ripples’ entire range of wines has minimal sulphur added in the wine making process because we know flavour affects whether you will drink our wines or not.
Too much sulphur affects the flavour profile as well as the smell; and sulphur does not smell pretty – if you can smell it, and it's bad, you probably won’t drink it, and we want you to drink, because drinking OUR wines helps others drink water with our partnership with the BridgIT Foundation! (link to more about this here)
This means Little Ripples’ wines aren’t just good for those sensitive to sulphur, it’s good to those who have a sensitive tongue too, as well as those who care to give those in need access to water.
We care about the clarity of the taste of our wines, so your taste buds are happy (as well as your allergies)